On 6th of April 2019 the Geelong Advertiser ran an interesting story on how more thieves are targeting car keys in the Greater Geelong area. The article notes that these days’ manufacturers are making cars much harder to steal, forcing thieves to break into homes to get the car keys.
New crime statistics showed that 578 keys were stolen from homes from 2016 – 2018 compared with only 84 from the period of 2009 – 2011. Despite the cities overall crime rate de-creasing, residential burglaries rose to 238 in 2018 compared with only 79 in 2009. With more thieves using physical force to gain access to property and offenders breaking into homes while occupants are asleep, it’s a worrying trend that is on the rise.
We have even heard of thieves using high tech gadgets that transmit the signal from car keys inside the home to a receiver near the car which allows them to open and steal the car without actually having the keys in their possession. Keeping car keys away from the front door or even in a steel box to stop this occurring is something that has recently been discussed within the security industry. We’ve even heard of people wrapping their car keys in aluminium foil to combat the issue.
• Keep vehicles garaged whenever possible and have the garage secured with its own alarm zone which can be armed separately to other home alarm zones.
• Use your home alarm to secure all door and window zones separately to the rest of the home.
• Use high resolution security cameras to record everything around the home and use strategically hidden cameras to capture thieves’ identities.
• Keep car keys out of sight from windows and doors and as far away from vehicles as possible.
• Have high quality security screen doors and window screens fitted and keyed to match your other doors for easy use, we recommend Geelong Security Doors.
• Use sensor lights around the perimeter of your home and limit access points to your property with quality locks.
- • Consider Alarm System monitoring for faster response times and insurance discounts.
If you are concerned about any of these issues or would like assistance in installing a quality security system for your home or business, please contact us on 0417 384 787.